Monday, April 30, 2012

Derustification

The weather wasn't terrific today, but it was good enough for Mike and Rick to get their first flights of the year in PM. We are very lucky to have Walter providing tows at Springfield these days.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Weekend report April 28 - 29

If you believe in the Monte Carlo Fallacy, then you will be glad to hear that it was too windy to fly both days this weekend. We weren't able to fly anyway, due to the lack of a towplane. The chances of another windy weekend are reduced, right?

While doing some minor Blanik chores on Saturday, Christopher, Sonny, and Rick discovered the Blanik manual, which Christopher will copy and make available to the club. We also decided to improve the canopy seals and figure out the best way to protect the cockpit from the sun.

We ran into Andy G who is making progress on the towplane. We think we can get away with only one or two more orders to Aircraft Spruce for parts.

On Sunday, Tim and Andy decided to go to Springfield where there is a towplane and where strong winds are less of a problem. They each had a flight in PM and reported good lift (9.5 knots at one point) to 8500 feet. When the lift is that strong, the winds are less of a factor on a local flight.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Blanik L-13 Update

As you know, our Blanik L-13 is grounded by an Airworthiness Directive from the FAA. This action was in response to the grounding of the glider in Europe by the controlling authority, EASA.

The German engineering firm AD&C has developed a modification to the glider which has been approved by EASA, with the result that modified Blaniks are now allowed to fly in Europe. All that remains is for FAA to follow suit.

Responding to an inquiry from Andy today, the USA Blanik dealer replied with this status report, which isn't very encouraging:
The FAA sent yet another engineering stress analysis request to the developers of the German repair kit rather than accepting that which has already been approved by the European FAA counterpart, EASA.
This adds an extra complication which may require additional time and expense. If and when there is progress on the side of the FAA we will put an announcement in the News section of our website.
Sorry I don’t have a more positive news to report.

Sincerely,

BLANIK AMERICA, INC.
Vitek Siroky
The whole sordid tale is here.

The bottom line is that we will keep our glider in storage until we hear from the FAA. It could be a very long wait.

Source

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Zephyr Hills and Perry

Tony and Evan have been tearing up the skies down south, according to OLC. They have logged three long flights in April. But that's all we know, since they haven't sent in their stories yet.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Assembly Day

It's beginning to look like a gliderport again. The next thing to assemble is the towplane.

Thanks to Andy, Tim, Lane, Christopher, Mike, Bill, Rick, and Sonny for assembling and washing today.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Stuck in a Hole


Had a nice 2 hour flight in Springfield yesterday. Took off around noon. 4 kt thermals to 6K. I was able to climb to 9K in a wave window but the hole in the clouds was only a mile or two wide. Couldn't climb high enough to go over the clouds (tops were about 10K) and had to go below 6K to get under them so I was pretty much stuck in the hole.

When I left Springfield at 3, Walter and Jerry were just starting out in the PW6 at 6K over Ascutney.

There are still a lot of opportunities to fly in Springfield before Post Mills Airport opens in the spring.

Tim

Friday, February 24, 2012

Winter Soaring

I had a nice flight in Springfield VT with Walter in his PW-6 on President's Day. Walter is in his new hangar and both the Pawnee and PW-6 are always ready to go. It only takes him about 10 minutes to have both of them ready to fly.

Dr. Jack had predicted weak thermals to less than 3,000 but we found wavy thermals or thermally wave to 6000 feet. The lift was quite strong at times and I briefly saw 7.5 kts on the averager. Wind at altitude I guess was around 20 kts. We stayed up for about 2.5 hours.

Okemo Mountain is only 12 miles from the airport so I think there is often wave lift when the wind is blowing (which is most days this time of year). There is also the possibility of thermal and ridge lift. Walter is willing and able to tow, so I am planning to fly the 304 down there a few days before the flying starts at Post Mills. Anyone else interested? We could take the 1-23 and/or Blanik too.

Tim

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Not slacking

Tony (7H) made his fifth flight of the season yesterday. 194km, not bad!

But it doesn't count as a Slacker flight if you're retired.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Post will be milling

This reminds me of my VCR user's manual.

AGM

As usual, the highlight of the Annual General Meeting of the Post Mills Soaring Club was the homemade breakfast we enjoyed before the meeting started. Thank you, Judy and Andy, for feeding this year's attendees:
Andrew, Andy, Andy, Andy, Bill, Christina, Christopher, Diane, Ella, Emma, Jane, Judy, Kevin, Lynne, Marsha, Mike, Moshe, Nancy, Paul, Penny, Rich, Rick, Skip, Sonny, Steve, Sue, Sue, Thomas, Tim, Tom, Zach
It was a good turnout. You should have been there, Evan.

After breakfast, a subset of the horde listed above took care of business. We discussed the towplane, finances, officers, membership, the fleet, the airport, our new website, encampments, the upcoming FIRC, and safety matters. Decisions will show up in the minutes, in due course.

The hours of daylight are getting noticeably longer.The AGM seems to mark the boundary between seasons. Spring fever has replaced cabin fever, finally.