Friday, February 24, 2012

Winter Soaring

I had a nice flight in Springfield VT with Walter in his PW-6 on President's Day. Walter is in his new hangar and both the Pawnee and PW-6 are always ready to go. It only takes him about 10 minutes to have both of them ready to fly.

Dr. Jack had predicted weak thermals to less than 3,000 but we found wavy thermals or thermally wave to 6000 feet. The lift was quite strong at times and I briefly saw 7.5 kts on the averager. Wind at altitude I guess was around 20 kts. We stayed up for about 2.5 hours.

Okemo Mountain is only 12 miles from the airport so I think there is often wave lift when the wind is blowing (which is most days this time of year). There is also the possibility of thermal and ridge lift. Walter is willing and able to tow, so I am planning to fly the 304 down there a few days before the flying starts at Post Mills. Anyone else interested? We could take the 1-23 and/or Blanik too.

Tim

No comments: