Friday, April 18, 2008

Signs of Spring

Things are starting to happen.

PM and S1 were moved to firmer ground where they are nicely accessible. However, both gliders need to move again before the first of May. If you can provide a parking spot for either of these planes until the end of mud season, please leave a comment.

Paul, Skip, and Rick have been working on their cockpits. Paul has decided to become an expert on gadgetry. By the end of the season, he will be the go-to guy for advice on glide computers and flight recorders. Skip (who has never sat in his glider, can you believe it?) is overhauling his new instrument panel entirely. Rick is attempting to install a gigantic navigation display in a very small cockpit.

Tomorrow (Saturday) is opening day for NESA, and Evan will be flying with them at Springfield in T8. I believe that our insurance has kicked in, so someone should grab PM and go join him. Evan is also planning to leave for Mifflin on April 25 to join a large group of early-season ridge flyers.

The runway is free of snow, but still soft. I don't know the condition of Bob's driveway going up the hill to the Blanik and 1-23 storage spaces. Andy is sticking with his story that April 26 will be our Assembly Day. We'll see.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, this is too obvious: park 'em at VSF. Plenty of space and a tow plane to boot.

You'll get no sympathy from me if you can't handle a 45 minute commute.

-T8

ps: you aren't an expert on gadgetry until you've botched at least three task declaration attempts and downloaded as many invalid flight logs. Why... oh why are we stuck with such primitive, crufty software (and lousy documentation)? It's maddening.

Anonymous said...

I bet I could do better...

Anonymous said...

Sit I might one day.
JS holds and comforts me
Twenty-four seven.

[ A 'How-Much-Do-You-Love-Your-Glider?' Haiku ]

kevin brooker said...

Little bug in air
A wing approaching too fast
The impact not fair

kevin brooker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kevin brooker said...

Expanding the poetry:

This is an edit of the "poem" I deleted.

There once was a man who could soar
His ship with a glide very poor
I'll trade you my llama
and big breasted mama
For a flight in the twenty-four.

Anonymous said...

Never mind on my suggestion of VSF.

This is a public blog, so I will measure my comments.

I am just appalled at the changes being made there in the name of security.

It will no longer be practical for visiting glider pilots to operate there.

The very least obnoxious and nonsensical of the new procedures being put in place this year is a requirement for a flashing yellow beacon on all ground vehicles. It gets very much worse.


-T8