Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Nomenclature

In the last post, I talked about forming "Working Groups" to address the major subject areas covered in Tony's survey. As a result of communications I've had since then, I realize that I have been using a term that is not well understood. The work that a Working Group does is the thinking variety, not the manual labor variety. In my mind, the terms "Working Group," "Task Force," and "Subcommittee" are all interchangeable. My choice of words must have been influenced by my involvement with the International Gliding Commission, which has spawned all sorts of Working Groups for various projects. Someday I will write about the IGC.

Anyway, if the survey topics could be summarized in single words, they would be these:

  1. Encampments
  2. Weekdays
  3. Travel
  4. Radios
  5. Groundschool
  6. Spending
  7. Fleet
  8. Social
  9. Membership

The survey responses indicate that our members care enough about one or more of these topics that it would be appropriate to assign policy-making responsibilities to small groups of interested people. The Board of Directors welcomes the opportunity to distribute the decision-making. All you have to do is pick a topic and volunteer. If you don't, you will continue to suffer under the current oligarchical regime.

I will continue to use the term "Working Group."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I heard the word 'Nomenclature" I knew this was a 'RICK' posting ;-). Hint to new members: don't ever say dashboard or windshield when referring to the instrumentation or canopy of your glider-you will be rapidly corrected and then hit up the side of the head.
I will be happy to be in the Work 'Camp' groups discussing: encampments, travel, social, and membership. Is there a newer tri-fold brochure for the spring season?
Diane

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane. As soon as I saw that someone left a comment, I knew it was you. I don't get much feedback on these posts. Yours are appreciated, as always.

I don't know of any new handouts for prospective members. It's a question for Steve. One of us will ask him.

Thanks for volunteering.

Amelia Dearheart said...

Thanks Rick
I think once rates are set, and online membership form is in place?, and a brochure is made maybe a little table or stand with literature about the club could be left near where the cars are parked? I'm getting the sense the club would prefer experienced members. If that's the case then this wouldn't be a good idea!
See ya-no breakfast today.
Diane