Monday, June 1, 2009

Awesome flight

For those of you who stayed home to watch TV rather than come to the field yesterday, and know about being in the right place at the right time..... read on.

Bill and Thomas helped me work on the 2-33 for a few hours and I then noticed that the while the wind was strong the sky was quite clear so Tim and I towed them up-wind though moderate to heavy turbulence (almost like rotor but not) leaving them in an area that seemed like it had lift, but I wasn't expecting them to stay up for long. I landed (twice) and we got the golf cart to retrieve them, and we waited and waited but no sign of them until about 20 minutes later I spotted them over 91 and quite high which turned out to be about 7000'.

Thomas wrote:

"The tow was rougher than anything I have ever experienced at Post Mills. But off tow we went to 7k over Rt 91, and then picked up a cloud street which took us almost to exit 2 on 89. Into the wind, no circling, and we climbed up to 8.5k. I have never experienced such a cloud street. I told Bill that he will probably not experience anything like that in the next 5 years........"

-Andy

2 comments:

T8 said...

I was driving back from Mifflin, wishing I'd been able to stay another day and fly. Two guys (at least) from Fairfield MD flying in the same extended area managed 1000K flights Sunday...

The wind was strong enough to boost my fuel economy by about 12%.

-T8

Anonymous said...

The interesting thing from the ground was the strength of the wind. There were gust that I estimate were 25 mph+. Directly across the runways. The wind was so strong that I saw one of the white pines past the hangers fall across the road, knocking power out to the cabins.

The cloud streets were well marked and stationary.

They probably could have backed the Blanik up from Sharon to PM.

Tim