Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Wave at Post Mills


The best wave day of the year may have been last Sunday. Too bad the gliders were put away. Paul and I flew in my Champ and Andy in his. Paul and I went to 11,000’ between PM and Montpelier. At times the rate-of-climb indicator showed over 1600 fpm (with the engine throttled back to produce zero sink). We probably could have gone higher, we weren't even trying. Wave windows and some lenticulars marked the wave over many oscillations. The winds were not that strong so it probably would have been easy to transition to the next crest upwind in a high performance glider. The picture (Paul’s) above shows a wave window and the backside of a lenticular. You can see the rest of Paul’s pictures at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/postmillsrc/2009126Paul


Here is the Skew-T for the day (sorry about the units). Wind was due west at 28 kts (14 m/s) at 9,500’ (2908 m).



Tim

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you guys have all the fun. great bunch of pictures Paul.

JS said...

This was the fall/early winter to have your own self-launching motor-glider, 100% uncommitted free time, and unlimited financial resources. Now, about that ASH-26E...

OK, I'll wake up now.

JS

Andy Lumley said...

Thank you for not mentioning that I only went to 8200', I kept looking down for you when I should have been looking up!

-Andy